Want to know how to make a strong application to our Young Start fund? This blog will tell you how.
Since its launch on 13 March 2012 we have awarded over £1.5 million to 37 different youth projects through the Young Start fund which aims to unlock the potential of young Scots aged 8 to 24. If you want to follow in their footsteps the following tips will stand you in good stead…
1. It may sound obvious but you should always read each question on the application form carefully making sure you answer it fully using clear examples that relate to your new project for which you are applying for funding.
2. Following on from this do tell us about the project you want us to fund – an increasing – although small – number of groups are telling us how young people use their existing project rather than how they will use and benefit from the new project.
3. Tell us how children and young people will be involved in the development, design and delivery of your project.
4. Do ensure your project is focused on the benefits and changes to children and young people
5. Remember you don’t have to deliver all of the Young Start programme outcomes. We only ask that you meet at least one.
6. Be realistic about your beneficiary numbers, potentially the more beneficiaries your project has the less impactful your work will be.
7. While we can fund salary and equipment costs please remember that these have to be part of a clearly described project that will meet one (or more) of the programme outcomes.
8. Tell us why the project will help and how it will address the issues in the local area. Often this section just lists social problems in the area, but the best applications give details of issues and problems, then state clearly how the project will address them.
Young Start is a rolling a programme with no deadlines. You can apply online or call us on 0300 123 7110 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your project idea.
You can also listen to this podcast with our Communications Officer Adele Goodfellow who gives you her tips for submitting a strong Young Start application.