Your burning questions – March 2014

Our Scotland Advice Team receive an average of 700 enquiries every month. We’re here to give advice and support to organisations before they apply for funding. Below are three of our most common questions asked recently.

We need equipment for our club – can we apply to Celebrate?

This will depend if the equipment can meet one of Celebrate’s outcomes. Requests to this need to have a Commonwealth focus so cannot fund ‘general’ activities.

CJW_0436_1 250x250What is the difference between Communities and Families Fund and Young Start?

Communities and Families Fund supports projects for children from pre-birth to 8 years. It funds between £250 and £10,000.

Young Start supports projects from ages 8 to 24. It funds between £10,000 and £50,000.

What are the requirements for applying for a project that involves working on land?

You need to own the freehold of the land, or hold a lease that cannot be brought to an end by the landlord for at least five years. The length of the lease will increase depending on the amount of funding you apply for.

If you need planning permission, you should have it before you apply.

For more information on this, please read our guidance.

Latest tips on applying

Applicants to any of our funds should find our quick tips on improving your application useful. Tying in with this, we have information on how to identify the need for a project.

If you have any other questions about our funding, you can go to Ask BIG, where we give answers to other commonly asked questions.

Alternatively, if you can’t find your answer at Ask BIG, you can email us at

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s